10 Things to Consider When Choosing a New Home Builder
We know you have choices for who you’d like to build your new home in the Grand Rapids area. That’s why we’re so glad that you’re here! At Heartland Builders, we aim to make the custom home building process fast, easy, and super fun. Simply put, we work with you, on your terms, to make your dream home a reality. As you’re on your quest to find the perfect builder for your new home, here are a few things to consider, and how Heartland Builders stacks up!
How to Choose a New Home Builder
1) Quality: We don’t wake up every day with the goal of building the cheapest house. We wake up every day with the goal of building the best home our client can afford.
2) Philosophy Over Price: Just like the cheapest option is not always the best; the most expensive may not be, either. Instead of focusing on price initially, consider the philosophy of the builder. Are their priorities customer service, communication, and quality? The home building process can last up to a year in some cases; make sure you partner with a company that’s easy to work with and puts your priorities first.
3) Helpful Website: A home builder’s website is like their virtual sales center! It should be helpful and informative and answer the many questions you have about homebuilding. We’ve just launched our new website, and many customers find it very helpful during the information-gathering stage. Take a look around!
4) Get Accurate Pricing: Based on your budget and floor plan selection, we price out your home for you in real time using our unique software so there are no surprises when it comes to how much you’re paying for your new home!
5) Solid References: You are going to be spending a lot of money (and time) with your home builder; make sure they check out! Google Ratings, customer testimonials, and old-fashioned name-and-phone-number references are the best ways to learn if a company is reputable and does quality work.
6) A Proven Process: Ask lots of questions about the building process and ask for a visual representation of it or a timeline (contact us for ours!). Every builder’s process is different and there may be one that you prefer over others.
7) Technology: We have found that incorporating technology into our building process reduces human error and speeds things up! For customer communication and project management we use CoConstruct, a platform where the homeowner can see updates and progress in real time, and record questions and concerns in their own portal. We also use 3D imaging very early in the design phase so customers can see their home before it’s even built!
8) Examples of Homes Completed. This is especially important if you’re building a custom home. You can view many of our completed projects online, but we can also take you to see a home under construction. We also encourage you to attend one of our regular events, where we discuss what’s involved in building a home and answer your questions right there on the spot!
9) HBA Member: Home Builders Associations are professional trade organizations that provide education, support, and resources for home builders, and are chartered by the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB). Its members are committed to providing quality homes, buildings, renovations, products and services for the entire region through adherence to ethical practices, community involvement, advocacy and education. Heartland Builders is proud to be a member of the HBA of Greater Grand Rapids!
10) Do You Like the Team? This consideration should be right up there with cost and building timeline in your decision-making process. Like any relationship, you want a professional team that communicates well and is responsive to your needs. You’ll be spending a lot of time with your building team, so you need to like them. Heartland Builders shines in this department! Our team is like a small family, and when you’re our customer, you’re a part of it!
We’d love the opportunity to tell you more about Heartland Builders and more importantly, learn about the unique home you’d like to build in Greater Grand Rapids or West Michigan. Please contact us; we can’t wait to meet you!