Part 2: The Grand Rapids Remodeling and New Home Show Recap
Every year, we love going to the Home Show to discuss what it’s like to build a brand new home with Heartland Builders and we want to empower you to feel confident about your journey! In our last blog, we shared a few of the important insights that Jen, our interior designer, discussed with attendees at the show.
Today, we want to dive into her thoughts about the design process! If you weren’t able to attend the Home Show this year, we’re excited to give you a behind-the-scenes look into what went on. Here are a few important questions to ask yourself before you start the design process on your new home:
How do I get started?
- Take a design lifestyle questionnaire on Google
- Create a written plan of your goal, your dreams, your desires
- Don’t overthink it — just get started and see where it takes you!
What’s my style? Where can I get inspiration?
- Houzz, Pinterest, magazines
- Assemble photographs of what you like for an “inspiration board”
- Look at your current art, pillows, rugs, etc. to get a feel for what you already like, what your favorite colors are, etc. (even if you want to buy new things, you’ll still keep some of the old)
Do I need help?
- Don’t hire a builder/remodeler unless they have an interior designer on staff (when interviewing builders, this should be one of your first questions)
- It’s also important to ask if the builder has a design center, or if you’ll have to go to multiple locations to make selections (a design center saves time)!
- Keep in mind that selections will take up the most time, and can either be your greatest cost risk or your greatest reward
Can I do it alone?
- How well do you and your spouse or significant other work together?
- Do you have a friend with a good “eye” (and taste you can afford)?
- There’s always the option to hire an interior designer
- Some retail businesses offer design services when you buy their products
Finally… the best advice we can give!
- Make all of your selections before you break ground/start your project (this is very important)
- Selections are time-consuming — manage your time wisely and be prompt
- Blueprints should be drawn to your selections, and your home should be built around your selections
- Appliances are almost the last thing to go into a home, and the first thing we require our clients to select (your kitchen is going to be designed around your appliances)
Do you have questions that we didn’t cover? We’d love to hear from you! You can contact us at any time to discuss exactly what it’s like to build a brand new Heartland Builders home in Grand Rapids. Stay tuned for the next part in our blog series as we discuss all things color, and dive into the trends that the industry’s top paint companies are predicting!